Wednesday, February 22, 2012

OM.2012.079 - Janice Mcdonald - USA

OM.2012.079- Janice Mcdonald - Mischief - collage


Artist Statement

I still remember the first collage I ever made, a second grade assignment. I was enchanted by the hunt for materials and the idea of rearranging reality to suit my own sensibilities.
These days my collages are abstract -- created with fragments of paper and recycled imagery collected from my daily life and wanderings. I'm especially intrigued with the often-overlooked backgrounds and negative spaces in everyday printed materials.
The softness of ripped elements lends a painterly feeling -- any straight lines are a function of the image I've selected or a paper's edge. Compositions are not planned in advance but grow/change/evolve over time.
Collage-making has become a very contemplative practice for me. The process of deconstructing images and then re-integrating many pieces, to create something completely new, is an intuitive and ongoing visual experiment.
I love the elegance and freedom of the collage medium and am continually inspired and fascinated by the variety of work that is being produced. Happy hundred years of collage!

No comments:

Post a Comment